Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ramblings I

Our setup is something like this: two laptops on the kitchen table, roughly two feet apart.  My laptop is usually jacked into the stereo, and is usually playing the most current version of the Peacock King soundtrack.  (Currently playing: "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?" - Paula Cole... wait, make that "You're No Rock n' Roll Fun" - Sleater-Kinney.)  The lights are on overhead, my knitting is half-hidden by stacks of papers, and Irk occasionally looks up from her laptop to stare into space.

She also twitches, people.  It's like her brain runs on a friggin' friction drive.

There is the ever-present tea.  Neither of us are capable at this point of writing without a cup of tea to keep us company.  When Irk first moved in with me, I had to train her in the fine art of brewing tea, and introduced her to the wonders of fresh loose-leaf teas.  I can now safely say that she's at least as hard-core about her tea as I am, although I suspect she's a bit more willing to drink the pre-bagged stuff than I am.

Laptops, music, tea... cats.  We're up to four cats in the house now, even though two of them are still ensconced in my bedroom acting as if the entire universe just shat on their little kitty lives.  (In a way, that might just be true.  After all, the poor dears have to live with my kittyboys and my children now.)  Roland, my snowshoe Siamese mix, tends to either hang around our feet or hang off the back of the couch, when he's not trying to upturn the garbage can.  Gordon is ... Gordon.  I think he's more of a mobile rug than a proper cat.

In the midst of all this, Irk drinks her tea and shimmies the table and churns out more story.  I support this activity by playing music, drawing, and surfing 4chan writing my own stuff.  After a while, I either give up waiting for her to finish and go to bed, or she'll announce (with the proper amount of angelic trumpeting and holy beams of light) that she has finished another bit of manuscript, and would I like to read it?

We'll ignore for now the fact that seven times out of ten I've been sneaking peeks at the document while she's writing anyway. Oh, the joys of sharing GoogleDocs!

... I think that's enough rambling for now.  I'll just finish this off by pointing out the new banner (yay) and the new art on Chapter 4 (also yay).  Time to get back to my own scribin'...

5 comments:

  1. I bet you're peeking at this comment even as I'm writing it. 9_9

    I like the loose-leaf stuff the absolute most, it's just the bagged stuff is cheaper and we have so much of it that I only want to do a loose-leaf pot if I know we're gonna both be drinkin' a couple cups. nn;

    ...So basically I'm a tea-mizer. ._.;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that's "miser".

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the freaking Tycho to my Gabe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only I'm pretty sure we have less unresolved sexual tension than those two.

    Dear GOD I hope we have less UST.

    ReplyDelete